An experienced and enthusiastic software designer and developer, with a proven track record of completing projects on time, within budget and to specification; several years experience in a variety of environments from self-employed contractor to permanent roles supporting user populations of over 100. Articulate and imaginative, a good communicator.
- Design, build and support innovative and reliable IT systems
- Listen to and interpret customer requirements
- Build robust web- and desktop- based applications using a range of technologies
- Follow best practice methodologies for development and documentation
- Deliver to specification at every stage throughout the development lifecycle
- Build relationships at all levels with customers, suppliers and colleagues
- Contribute to the training and development function as a technical trainer
Key technical skills
- 10+ years' experience of client-server design and development using Visual Basic and SQL Server
- Thorough knowledge of Access, built many small databases over 15+ years
- A believer in documentation, using markup within comments for automatic building of web-based technical references
- Excellent understanding of the development lifecycle; responsible for many applications currently in production use
- A lifelong programmer with exposure to a wide range of languages and architectures, from TI-99 BASIC to C#
- 3 years' experience of maintaining business-critical Linux-based systems running Apache and MySQL; exposure to IIS
- Administered Windows, SQL Server, Exchange and Netware servers on a day-to-day basis for user populations of up to 120
- Migrated a large Bond Adapt database from SCO OpenServer to Windows NT with no user downtime and no loss of data
- Designed and implemented security and access control policies
- 11 years' experience of MIDI and audio sequencing in both professional and hobby environments, working primarily with Cubase versions 3.0, VST and SX
- Familiar with common audio packages such as Logic Audio, Pro Tools and CoolEdit
- 5 years' experience with Paint Shop Pro, good understanding of Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Working knowledge of Flash
Managing Director, Clarity Computing Limited (April 2006 to date)
- Responsible for the conversion of Clarity Computing from a partnership to a Limited Company, drawing up memoranda and articles of association, negotiating service agreements with staff and complying with relevant legislation.
- Day-to-day management and administration of the Company in addition to ongoing duties as listed below.
Partner, Clarity Computing (July 2003 - April 2006)
- Jointly responsible for all business planning, development and management activities for a startup specialising in PC and network support.
- Solely responsible for development and management of all software projects at the company, using tools such as Visual Basic, C#, PHP, Apache, Access, MySQL, MSDE and SQL Server. Managed the complete development lifecycle for projects including:
- Internal systems for tracking customers, suppliers, orders and jobs
- Internal financial and performance management software
- A modular web-based business management suite, sold to companies who require time management and HR software
- Access control and billing software for a wireless Internet hotspot product sold to cafes and similar clients
- The company's website at www.clarity-computing.com
- Various custom applications developed for clients
- Wrote project proposals and functional specifications for all sofware developed by the company, both internally and for its clients.
- Provided first-line telephone support for clients, carried out on-site visits ranging from fixing trivial PC problems to full network installations.
Systems Developer/Database Controller, Witan Jardine (August 2000 - April 2003)
- Solely responsible for the implementation, ongoing development and administration of the company's intranet, serving 50,000 page views per month to 100 users.
- Identified and defined requirements with users from all business areas and levels of responsibility, and wrote functional specifications to meet these requirements.
- Developed and maintained all internal web- and desktop- based applications using Visual Basic, PHP, MySQL and SQL Server.
- Performed customisation and quality auditing of a 1.4Gb Adapt database, handling over 10,000 transactions per day and central to the company's business operations.
- Provided second-line support on Office, Adapt, custom internal software and the intranet.
- Trained other staff to mark up HTML documents and program simple forms in PHP.
- Provided technical input to the Marketing team in relation to the company's website.
- Recommended the long-term software strategy to the IT Director.
Self-employed/freelance contractor (May 1999 - August 2000)
- Developed a website for an online wine-selling business, using PHP and MySQL.
- Provided PC support services and one-to-one tuition in Windows, Office, Internet and E-mail to people in their homes.
- Developed an Access-based system for a market research company, providing client, job and staff management functions for six users; a 6-month project delivered on time and to budget.
- Developed an Access-based contact and client management system for a distributor of car tracking devices; a 2-week project delivered on time and to budget.
Data Processing Assistant, The Wire (September 1997 - May 1999)
- Processed and quality checked market research sample lists containing several tens of thousands of records each.
- Programmed scripts for the NIPO CATI system, used by a team of 300 interviewers to collect business-critical market research data.
- Performed day-to-day maintenance of a Netware 4 network of 40 PCs.
- Provided first line support for 40 simultaneous users (from a total user population of 350) and was responsible for the handling of all interfaces to second and third line support suppliers.
- Developed internal software tools using Visual Basic, Excel and Access.
- Made recommendations to the Board on all hardware and software purchase decisions.
- Solely responsible for the setup and administration of the company's Internet connectivity.
Studio Assistant, Falconer Recording Studios (May 1997 - September 1997)
- Assisted during recording sessions, from preparation of the equipment and the studio through to carrying out end of day security and equipment checks.
- Sales, studio bookings, invoicing, credit control, banking, stock ordering, data entry, supervising people on work experience, and general day-to-day running of a studio office.
Customer Service Assistant, W. H. Smith (November 1995 - May 1997)
- Stock replenishment and ordering, served customers on shop floor.
Production Manager, Pret à Manger (June 1995 - November 1995)
- Supervised and motivated staff, ordered supplies and managed inventory, achieved targeted production ratios, dealt with both customers and suppliers, and ensured safety and cleanliness at the same time as managing the day-to-day running of a busy kitchen with eight staff.
Team Member, Pret à Manger (February 1995 - June 1995)
- Made sandwiches and took payment on tills.
School of Audio Engineering, London (September 1995 - March 1997)
- Diploma of Higher Education in Audio Engineering
Merchant Taylors' School, Northwood, Middlesex (September 1988 - July 1993)
- A-levels in English Literature, French and Computer Studies
- GCSEs in English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Combined Science, Design and Technology, French, Russian, and History
London, NW9 (address and phone numbers available on request)